Friday, July 31, 2009

Honey, I'm Home!

From April 2007
I got home from San Antonio last night. What a great trip and what a great city!! I want to go back there and visit "for real" and not for work. Although I really can't complain, we really did get quite a bit of free time to go site-see. And the weather was beautiful. It was 80 degrees and above the whole time. I even got a slight sunburn which will turn into a great start to my summer tan. (Too bad it wasn't on my legs )

Some of the places we visited were:


The River Walk and a river boat tour - my favorite and most beautiful, I could walk or sit along the River Walk all day long.

Market Square - a great Mexican and Farmer's Market. We didn't get out to the Market until Friday -the first day of San Antonio's annual Fiesta. The place was packed and very festive. Great fun!! (I would have liked to have stayed a bit longer and gotten into the festivities a bit more.)

La Villita-another type of market, but more about art and hand made crafts. I love to look at art, however we didn't spend much time here due to our desire to get out to Market Square. (Our time walking and standing was always a bit limited due to my co-worker's health difficulties - and we had to kind of prioritize which things we wanted to spend this limited time on.)

The Alamo- I didn't get to spend much time there since it closed at 5:30 every day. But one evening I made it through the door at 5 minutes before closing. So I quickly snapped a few photos, skimmed through the gift shop, and was out the gate. Sadly, I really didn't get to read any of the actual historical placards.
multiple gift shops - of course there were quite a few of these around The Alamo and throughout town.

River Center Mall - your average mall, except that the river and River Walk ran right around it. So I sat and listened to a live band play while enjoying the cool breeze from the river. (I also bought my first pair of Croc's shoes, which I now wear constantly!)
the Henry B Gonzalez Convention Center - this was where our conference was held, which probably doesn't sound like such a big deal, except it had a great park, some cool sculptures and statues, and again, the river ran right under it.

Hard Rock Cafe - I always like to buy a Hard Rock t-shirt when visiting a new city. I rarely eat in the cafe -- I just buy souvenirs. :)

A couple of great restaurants - We actually had quite a bit of food provided for us during our conference. But we did eat at a great Texan steak place and also a nice hometown Mexican Cafe. Both were YUMMY!!

Every evening, once my co-worker had taken a cab back to the hotel, I had some time alone to walk and see more of the sites of San Antonio. I usually didn't stay out past dark, since that's not really a safe idea. But I did get to spend more time on the River Walk and do a bit of shopping. I kept thinking over and over about how San Antonio would be a great romantic get-away. If I ever get the chance, it would be a place I'd visit again for exactly that purpose.
I hope to have all my photos posted in my photo section very soon.

1 Comment: I'm glad you had a great time. Can't wait to see the pics!!! :o) (Celia)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment