Friday, July 31, 2009

Office Parties

From May 2007
I'm often amuzed at work by the things that the organization does to try and build morale or mental health. Not that I'm against parties and celebrations, in fact, I love them. But I like celebrations to hold meaning to them, so that I actually can get into the celebrating.
Last week, during Monday's lunch hour, our office had it's annual Birthday party. No this is not a party to celebrate the anniversary of the organizations existence. It was a mass-celebration of everyone's birthday for the year. We've had these parties for a few years now and it originally came about when some members of the office continually had their feelings hurt when no one remembered their birthdays, yet others around them had co-workers showering them with gifts or cake. So they decided to start having one big party to ensure everyone would feel included. (The funny thing is that there are still little celebrations throughout the year as birthdays come and go.)

This year's party was pretty lame. Since the program wouldn't put any money towards the party,we were asked to pitch in $6.00 a week earlier. We had pizza, played a couple of simple party games, got some cheap prizes and a cupcake, and that was it. There was one member of our office group that told the organizers a couple of weeks ago that he didn't want to participate this year. I don't blame him really. But those in charge were upset -- they took it personally. Why?! And then during the party one of the participants seemed upset all of a sudden. She was pretty quiet about it, but I could tell something had made her mad. (She was one of the one's to complain year's ago when no one remembered her birthday.) I think she was upset that her giftbag of candy was sugar-free (she's diabetic, but cheats regularly). The whole thing really is amuzing to me. The things we do to make sure everyone feels included and not isolated; in this case, as I mentioned earlier, it just ended up forcing everyone to celebrate something that didn't have much meaning behind it.

I bet 90% of those present would have preferred to spend their lunch hour doing their own thing.

1 Comment: I agree with you. The people that were making a "big deal" out of other co-workers birthdays was just rude. You don't do that for some and not others. Especially if the company is paying for it. If individuals are paying for it themselves, and if you are that good of friends that you want to celebrate their birthday, then you should do it after hours so noone is left out. As far as the people who are feeling left out, who cares!!!! We are adults!!!! Celebrate your own damn birthday!!! (Celia)

No comments:

Post a Comment