Friday, July 31, 2009

The Secret

From 5/24/2007
I just had a question posted in my guestbook about one of my new favorite books, so I thought I'd respond in my blog.

The Secret is a great book! It's all about changing your thoughts so that they are focused on what you want in life and that through those thoughts you can create or have pretty much anything you desire. I actually started reading it after watching an Oprah episode. My main goal wasn't as much to go out and become some big sucessful entrepreneur by adopting the techniques suggested. I really just wanted to be more positive about life. At the time I was really focusing a lot of energy on how unhappy I was at work and with my relationships with co-workers. I also was a bit down about some of my friendships, my financial state, and how I was without a boyfriend. I just wanted to figure out a way to focus on what I did have and be grateful. So, I ordered both the book and DVD from Amazon. (Around the same time, I started a Gratitude Journal, that I wrote in regularly about things I'm grateful for, which has been good for me too.)

I'm now on my second time through the book and I've watched the DVD several times. Sadly, I haven't picked up the book in a few weeks. I've noticed that I need to read just a little bit everyday for me to really keep in mind the techniques. It really is quite challenging and it takes a lot of mental energy to keep my thoughts going in a positive direction on what I'm looking for in my future instead of on what is going wrong in life or all the negative things.

Overall, I've seen a difference in myself and I like it!

I actually tested it out in the beginning. One morning after reading just a few pages before getting ready for work, I decided I was going to see if this whole belief that "if you think it, it will come" could really work. So, I picked something that I wanted to happen at work that day; something that rarely happens-"my boss will give me a compliment today!" And I focused all my thoughts on it. I believed it would happen. I pictured it happening in my mind. Then I continued with my regular routine and headed out to work. Once I was at work, I actually kind of forgot about it. At the end of the day, right before leaving I ended up in a conversation with my boss, and low and behold she gave me a compliment! I didn't even realize the whole connection between the Secret and her compliment until I was driving home. It was kind of freaky, really.... but cool!

I tried something else the next day, regarding my gaining $5.00 by the end of the day. (I wanted to try something more physical and monetary). When at the grocery store after work, I got $5.00 deducted from my total due to sales, etc. It wasn't quite as concrete as I had imagined, but it was pretty cool that my total savings was $5 and some change.

After that I started thinking about real goals for myself. I wrote them on sticky notes and put them on my ceiling above my bed, so that I was reminded of them at night and in the morning when in bed. (I got that idea from the DVD.) I have to say, I haven't been as diligent in focusing on them. In fact, lately I've been distracted by old habits and I need to get back to really training my thoughts. It IS challenging!

In the whole scheme of things though, it has made me a better person, even if just slightly. And I want to continue.

1 Comment: So, I finally read your blog entry on The Secret (since I asked you about it before). You pretty much confirmed what I thought. It's not as easy as it sounds. I'm sure the whole Law of Attraction works, but it's not like people try to make it sound. You just think it, and it will come. You know? There is work that goes into it, just like everything else. Thanks for the review though. I'm definitely going to buy the book/dvd now. Thanks Buffy! :o) (Celia)

No comments:

Post a Comment