Saturday, July 25, 2009

SELF MATTERS

FROM WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 9, 2006
I have decided to read Dr. Phil McGraw's book: Self Matters. I seem to only get around to reading about 5-10 pages at a time, and it's not always daily. But so far I kind of like what he has to say. I'm just starting the 3rd chapter, so I'm really not that far into it yet. Up to this point, he has been talking about acknowledging who or what your authentic self is. And he defines that as your true self... not the person you pretend to be when around others, but what you really feel and think you are when you are alone with your own thoughts. Although he also says that we are often so busy in life that we sometimes don't even give ourselves that chance to slow down and hear what our thoughts are saying or pay attention to what we really need.

The particular copy that I have also has the companion book attached to it, which is sort of like a work book that makes you answer candid questions about yourself and think through different aspects of your life and personality. Sometimes I really like doing that kind of stuff... other times I hate it. I guess it all depends on whether I'm really in the mood to be honest with myself. Maybe I'll post a blog here once in a while on my progress through the book. It may motivate me to keep reading and progressing through it.

1 Comment: I know this comment has nothing to do with the book, but I just have to tell you what Mariah said. This week-end Dr. Phil McGraw's daughter got married; when Mariah her McGraw, she said "is that Tim McGraw's daughter." I said "No, thats Dr' Phil's daughter." She replied, "is Dr. Phil, Tim's father too?" I said "No Mariah, Tim is not in the picture," (meaning not part of the family.) she said, "what picture, I didn't see the picture", so this conversation went on for a few minutes til I just gave in and said he was the brother of the bride. She said, "well that's all you had to say." (Dee)

No comments:

Post a Comment