Saturday, July 25, 2009

WHERE'S A HANDY MAN WHEN YOU NEED ONE?

FROM MONDAY, JULY 24, 2006
Home Repair #1
Ok, there's just one problem with being a single girl and a homeowner combined... when something breaks down, there's no one in the house to fix it for you! Or you can't just call the landlord either. And this whole thought process led me to think about how confined I am by these thoughts. Why is it that I think I need to have a man to fix things? Why can't I figure out how to fix it on my own? AND, why is it that I assume that all men automatically know how to fix things? It's a bit old fashioned, don't ya think? Although, I could handle one of those types of handy men that you see in the movies or on tv.

I'm currently facing my first repair in the house -- the swamp cooler. After getting some tips from our maintenance man at work, I've come to the conclusion that the pump is going out. It's just barely pumping water up to one of the three filters. In the heat we've had lately, it just doesn't cut it. So... the pump needs replacing (either that or spending a bit more to replace the swamp cooler with an air conditioner). I've been to Home Depot to check out new pumps and I'm clueless as to what kind to get. Of course I wouldn't know how to install one, even if I knew what to buy. Sigh... I guess it's time to call one of my many brothers in to help. That's what family is for, right?

1 Comment: You don’t need a man! I’ve been married for 19 years and I still don’t have a handyman; man up and start doing things yourself. You own a house, car and a hot tub; I‘d start taking a plumming and automotive class while you’re still relatively young unless you have a hefty bank account. (Dee)

No comments:

Post a Comment