In April, my journal group was assigned the topic of Childhood memories to write about. This was a very easy topic for me, since I have some great ones. The picture above is of my page with lots of photos of me and my family and friends. And below is the journaling I added in a little booklet.
The memories of my childhood are vast and plentiful. They are also almost always happy ones. How could they not be? I was the spoiled baby sister in a large family of mostly boys.
Because I was so much younger than the rest of my siblings, I often played alone. One of my favorite ways to spend time included playing house, especially with my set of Fisher Price people and furniture. When I yearned for the company of a play companion, I turned to my friends. I developed a feeling for the nature of friendship early on. My first memory of close friendship was at three and I continued this friendship clear into the sixth grade.
There were also plenty of times that I watched or played alongside my big brothers. They were into football, wrestling, basketball, and many of the typical guy things. Once in a while Id be privileged enough to be included in their games. I became the wrestling partner that could always be beat and the tag along that never could quite get the hang of basketball. But with their help, I was actually able to figure out the odd rules to chess and become a pretty decent softball player.
I grew up on a dairy farm and therefore some of my memories revolve around many of the chores I was assigned. These included feeding the calves, taking care of my rabbits, and mowing the lawn (which and I hated and still do to this day). I had a fondness for animals, especially the babies: chicks, bunnies, kittens, puppies, calves, etc. Good thing I lived on a farm, for we had them all.
My mom was always very supportive of me discovering and building my talents. For almost eight years I took piano lessons. Towards the end, I had become quite accomplished in my skills and the pride of Mrs. Hansen, my piano teacher. Once I reached Junior High, I traded in the piano for a flute. I also showed an interest in drawing and creating crafts. Of course many of my early drawings look like any other childs interpretations. But as I grew older, I began to take art more seriously, especially as I noticed I had a bit of a flair for it.
I can't say that I long to relive my childhood, but I certainly do love to remember it. I had loving, caring parents, great siblings, and awesome friendships. And even though my family may not have had all the conveniences or an excess of money, I rarely noticed. My childhood was, and I'm sure my life will continue to be, made of great memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment