Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Weekend of Friends

From 9/4/2007
I had a great Labor Day weekend!! Why? It consisted of the ultimate "get-a-way" for me emotionally, socially, physically, and mentally. To start off, my boss granted us an extra day off on Friday, making it a 4-day weekend instead of 3. And then to top it off, I got to spend a majority of that time with my greatest friends. I consider myself quite lucky to have 5 great friends... all from different stages/ages in my life, who have turned into life-long kindred spirits of my life. This weekend, I was able to spend time with 4 of them!!

On Friday, not only did I spend a couple of hours with my mom, but I also got to spend some time with my bosom buddy and adopted sister who I met at work approx. 10 years ago and soon became great friends with. She no longer works with me and we've had some struggles over the past year, but she is a true kindred spirit and therefore will always be dear to me. We went to lunch and then to a movie, which is great considering how little we've done together lately. I was very excited to spend this, now rare, time together!

Later that afternoon, another dear friend called to tell me about a visit to my little corner of the world to see family and wanted to know if I had time for a short visit. Of course I did! We had a great time catching up.

On Saturday and some of Sunday, I spent some time with my ever stable and ever "there for me" pal. We drove to a flea market and spent most of Saturday walking around looking at everyone's stuff for sale. Then on Sunday, I joined her at a family BBQ held at her sisters. I've known this friend since the early 90's where I met her at church. We have some similarities (like being single) and many differences, both of which keeps the friendship strong.

On Sunday, I also started up a great text message conversation with a friend who doesn't live near me. We continued this conversation with some chatting online on Monday. He and I have been friends since my early twenties and there just seems to be a certain connection there that I can't explain. We haven't lived near each other for many years, but we seem to keep up the friendship somehow.

What a great way to spend a long weekend. I love my friends! They are awesome!!

No comments:

Post a Comment