FROM SEPTEMBER 2006
Going to and walking around a flea market is one of my favorite things to do. First of all, I love looking at the second hand wares, homemade crafts, and unique items that can be found (plus the food is always good!). Second, it's great exercise and I especially love it when they are held outdoors. Third, there are always interesting people around to watch and talk to.
This weekend I went to a flea market that is set up and held every Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day weekend. It's up in the mountains about1 1/2 hours away from where I live, held in a tiny town, of probably less than 100 population (Sumpter, OR). But during the weekends that the flea market is held there, every spare inch of open land/lots are filled with vendors. And people walk their way around enjoying the mountain air, food, and items for sale. This year, I went on Memorial Day and again yesterday. Sometimes I'm actually looking for a particular item. Sometimes (like yesterday), I just want to get out of town and be in the outdoors. I usually always run into someone I know too, and it's fun to stop and talk a bit.
Yesterday, I almost thought I was going to leave, having only purchased some carmel corn and my lunch. But right at the end, I stopped to look at some sterling silver jewelry and I ended up purchasing a necklace and earrings with my birthstone. (It's kind of fun to bargain with the vendors too--although I don't think I'm all that good at it.) Anyway, it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon. Can't wait until May rolls around, so I can do it again.
No comments:
Post a Comment