FROM SUNDAY, AUGUST 27, 2006
Home Repair #2
When I first moved into the house, I could tell that my water heater wasn't going to last long. The hot water just didn't last long... sometimes not even until I was done showering. And for the hot water to not even make it through one shower, something had to be wrong. In my last apartment, I seemed to have continual bad luck with the water heater. Figures that my luck would continue into my new house. I'm jinxed, I swear!
Anyway, suddenly this last week, while doing dishes one night, I noticed that the water was extrememly hot. Then the next morning, I had to run quite a bit of cold water with the hot to make it close to comfortable. I knew that it was time to do something about the water heater. When I went out to the garage to look at it (like I would be able to discover some magic remedy by looking at it), there was water all over my garage floor. (Thank goodness my water heater is installed in the garage!)
After talking to a friend, I learned that the thermostat inside the water heater had gone berserk and when it over heated it blew the safety pressure valve and released the water (instead of exploding). Also, by advice from our maintenance man at work, I decided it would be easier and best to just buy a whole new heater instead of just replacing the elements. So, I asked one of my brothers to come help me haul and install a new one yesterday. I'm glad I decided to get a new one since the old one was still acting a bit funny and was leaking.
Hopefully, I don't have to think about water heaters or wonder if I'll have enough hot water in the morning for a few years. And I can officially now count this as the second home repair, following my swamp cooler adventures at the beginning of the summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment