Saturday, July 25, 2009

IT'S INDEPENDENCE DAY!

FROM TUESDAY, JULY 4, 2006
Happy Fourth of July!
At first today just felt like any other day. Sometimes I purposely make holidays feel that way, so that I can avoid the anti-climatic ending. Ya know... like Christmas after all the gifts have been opened and you've played with all the toys and gadgets you or others were given.


But I spent the day with one of my good friends. I also went and visited my mom during some of that time. We took some pictures around the house/farm I grew up on. (The photo below is one of those. My
mom will use just about anything as a planter, like the bottom of this suitcase!)

Then this evening I just stayed at home and a friend came over. I live very close to where the fireworks are lit in our town and could partially see them from my backyard. We ended up walking down the street a bit to get a better view. This new neighborhood I live in is quite the festive bunch. I did not lack for firework entertainment, both the legal and illegal kind.

Anyway, it ended up being a pretty good day. And I made sure that I spent at least a few minutes remembering why we celebrate it in the first place. (That is usually a goal of mine at each holiday, since it seems that society gets caught up in a lot of the practices and traditions without understanding the meaning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment