FROM OCTOBER 2006
I guess it's about time that I enter my September's Journal Group page. It's been completed and the group met quite a while ago, but I've just been a bit preoccupied with other things to get a photo of it posted.
September's dare or challenge was to create a page on something that you would like to go back in time and either witness, participate in, or even change (including a regret). I had so much fun with this page, because I've always been fascinated with the 60's and 70's and would love to spend just a bit of time there. Within a pocket on the first page, I included a photo of my siblings and myself in 1969 -- of course I was just an infant then. I also included the lyrics to 3 songs from the era: "Blowin' In The Wind, Let's Get Together, and Turn! Turn! Turn! On the second page I added two CD compilations that I burned of many of my favorite "Flower Child" tunes and of course a folder that contained my journaling.
I guess it's about time that I enter my September's Journal Group page. It's been completed and the group met quite a while ago, but I've just been a bit preoccupied with other things to get a photo of it posted.
September's dare or challenge was to create a page on something that you would like to go back in time and either witness, participate in, or even change (including a regret). I had so much fun with this page, because I've always been fascinated with the 60's and 70's and would love to spend just a bit of time there. Within a pocket on the first page, I included a photo of my siblings and myself in 1969 -- of course I was just an infant then. I also included the lyrics to 3 songs from the era: "Blowin' In The Wind, Let's Get Together, and Turn! Turn! Turn! On the second page I added two CD compilations that I burned of many of my favorite "Flower Child" tunes and of course a folder that contained my journaling.
Here's what I entered in the journal portion of my page:
My sign is Aquarius.
I was born in 1969.
And all my life I have been fascinated by the “Hippie Era” of the 1960’s.
Maybe it’s because of my love of the music that I heard my teenage siblings play while I was very young.
Maybe it’s because I’m fascinated in the cause and beliefs behind the political unrest that played such a role in shaping the country during that time.
Maybe I’m envious of the “free” lifestyles many lived and experimented with.
And maybe I just really liked the way they dressed!
If I could turn back time…
I would like to live as a student attending the University of California, Berkeley in 1964 and witness, possibly participating in the demonstrations and protests that occurred.
And then if I could jump forward just a few more years to 1969, I would love to be in attendance at Woodstock and hear the music there.
I realize that I have a bit of a romantic and probably unrealistic view of the events of the 60’s. But if I could experience these things for just a few days, I’d be able to return to my present life with a deeper appreciation for the arts, for people who stand up for what they believe, and for creative and free expression. I’m sure that I would learn a valuable lesson in how to not be so judgmental, but more grateful for the talents of others. I would also wonder if I would return a bit disappointed in how little our country has advanced in how it views its diverse population but continues to repeat the same mistakes.
But most of all, lessons put aside, visiting the 60’s and being a “Hippie Chick” would just be far out man!!
My sign is Aquarius.
I was born in 1969.
And all my life I have been fascinated by the “Hippie Era” of the 1960’s.
Maybe it’s because of my love of the music that I heard my teenage siblings play while I was very young.
Maybe it’s because I’m fascinated in the cause and beliefs behind the political unrest that played such a role in shaping the country during that time.
Maybe I’m envious of the “free” lifestyles many lived and experimented with.
And maybe I just really liked the way they dressed!
If I could turn back time…
I would like to live as a student attending the University of California, Berkeley in 1964 and witness, possibly participating in the demonstrations and protests that occurred.
And then if I could jump forward just a few more years to 1969, I would love to be in attendance at Woodstock and hear the music there.
I realize that I have a bit of a romantic and probably unrealistic view of the events of the 60’s. But if I could experience these things for just a few days, I’d be able to return to my present life with a deeper appreciation for the arts, for people who stand up for what they believe, and for creative and free expression. I’m sure that I would learn a valuable lesson in how to not be so judgmental, but more grateful for the talents of others. I would also wonder if I would return a bit disappointed in how little our country has advanced in how it views its diverse population but continues to repeat the same mistakes.
But most of all, lessons put aside, visiting the 60’s and being a “Hippie Chick” would just be far out man!!
No comments:
Post a Comment