Friday, July 31, 2009

A Positive Way To Spend My Vacation Time

From 7/5/2007
I've had this whole week off from work. And as I stated in a recent entry on my Yahoo 360 blog, it didn't start out to be that cheery. I think my hormones were a bit out of whack, although for no particular reason. Anyway...

Once the week got going, I put all my energies into helping a good friend who had surgery on Tuesday. She had to have her rotator cuff repaired on her right shoulder, and therefore has been quite layed up. It's amazing how much we rely on BOTH our arms and hands and now that she can only move ONE for several weeks, it has been quite challening for her to do pretty much anything, especially get dressed. After picking her up from the hospital on Tuesday, I took her home and spent the night at her house (since she lives alone). I also spent the day there yesterday as well. It was a somewhat uneventful Fourth of July for both of us, but it felt good to be doing something good.

Sometimes I feel like I get really caught up in my own life and worrying about my own needs, which is logical, since I also live alone, am the only "bread winner" that I can rely on, and therefore have turned my lifestyle into one that is quite independent. I don't like relying on others, and neither does this friend of mine. But it was a bit humbling for both of us to have to work together. I had the opportunity to serve someone else besides myself, and she had to humble herself enough to ask for help repeatedly. It was quite hard for her to ask, especially when she needed help getting dressed.

At the end of the day, we were able to watch the town's small fireworks display, which added a bit of 4th of July spirit to our otherwise "normal" day. Today, I'm actually at home, but I've already called and checked in on her and will probably stop by her house for a while later today. It's not been a bad way to spend my time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment