Friday, July 31, 2009

The Quest for a Positive, Healthy, Lifestyle

From March 2007
Not too long ago, I hit a mental brick wall. I had had it with all the negativism all around me and especially within my own thoughts. I especially notice this attitude when at work. It's such a downer! Right around that time, I was able to watch an Oprah episode where they discussed how your thoughts really can determine how your life turns out. And within a day or so, I also received an email newsletter that had all these great tips for a happy Chinese New Year. With all these things happening within a few days of each other, I just knew it wasn't coiincidence. It was time for me to make a change. And man has it been hard. It's amazing how habitual my thinking processes are. Trying to think about what I'm striving for instead of what I don't want is the hardest. Maintaining that positive purposeful outlook and getting rid of the cynicism and sarcasm is tough as well. But as I tredge on, I created this daily to do list that I have posted on my mirror. Some of these things I've gotten quite good at doing each day... others not so much.

Daily “To Do” and Reminder Checklist:

To Do:

  • First thing in the morning, complete the following statement: My purpose today, is to ______.
  • Take a 10-30 minute walk. And while you walk smile. It’s the ultimate anti-depressant.
  • Sit in silence for at least 10 minutes.
  • Read something, anything. Pick something positive or that will increase my knowledge.
  • Make time to practice meditation and prayer. They will provide me with daily fuel for my busy life.
  • Eat more foods that grow on plants (as well as fish and animals) and eat less foods that are manufactured in plants. Especially consider organic foods, whole grains, green tea, salmon, broccoli, and almonds.
  • Drink plenty of water.
  • Clear clutter from my house, my car, my desk, and let new and flowing energy into my life.
  • Try to make at least 3 people smile today.
  • Say thank you often.
  • Journal about one thing I'm grateful for.
  • As the day ends, complete the following statement: Today I accomplished ______.

Reminders:

  • Don’t waste precious energy on energy vampires such as gossip, issues of the past, negative thoughts, or things I cannot change. Instead, invest my energy on things in the positive present moment.
  • Realize that life is a school and I am here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class, but the lessons I learn will last a lifetime.
  • I am the only one in charge of my happiness.
  • What other poeple think of me is none of my business.
  • My job won’t take care of me when I’m sick. My friends and family will. Keep in touch.
  • I am too blessed to be stressed. Don’t take myself so seriously, no one else does.
  • Don’t compare my life to others’. I have no idea what their journey is all about.
  • Life isn’t fair, but it is still good.
  • I deserve to have positive relationships that build me up and motivate me to become a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment