From September 2007
I just returned late last Thursday night from a work trip to Charleston. A co-worker/friend and I left last Sunday morning very early. We arranged to go a day earlier than needed so that we could spend the day Monday site-seeing. It was great! Although it was quite HOT there -- and extremely humid! When we left Sunday morning it was rainy and about 50 degrees here. When we arrived in South Carolina, it was in the mid 80's with about 70% humidity. So it was quite a change and since I hate humidity (having been raised in the dry west), it was not fun to get used to.
Charleston is a very historic city. I knew that before going, but it was great to see all the historic homes and places. We took about a 3-hour walking tour that pretty much covered all of the downtown area. The tour focused on the historic homes and mansions, which were beautiful. I took lots of pictures that I will soon get posted onto the site.
We didn't get the chance to tour Ft Sumter, although it could be seen from the shoreline. However, we did get a chance to ride a small boat taxi across one of the rivers, just to experience the water and get to see a better view of Charleston from a distance. While on the water, we got a quick glimpse of a dolphin... too bad I wasn't a bit quicker with my camera!
As much as I loved my get-a-way, I'm also happy to be back to enjoy beautiful autumn! I absolutely love this time of year, including the cool, cool, weather!!
The two-day conference we attended was great also... I was able to gain a lot of information to bring back to our program that will hopefully prepare us for our upcoming Federal Program Review this year. (More to stress about!)
No comments:
Post a Comment